Thursday, January 29, 2009

Wisdom from Wisot Wednesdays, Round 14! - Reprint from Redbook’s Fertility Diaries

Hello, all, and welcome back to our weekly Q&A with top fertility expert, the west coast's captain of conception, Dr. Arthur Wisot. Before we get started, the doctor's disclaimer: "My answers to questions on this blog do not constitute medical advice, but are merely meant to create an educational forum for consumers. It is always best to discuss these issues with your health care provider." The good doctor's answers are below, in bold:

Question #1: Dr Wisot, I have been diagnosed with Hypothalmic Annovulation. My lowest weight was about seven years ago when I was about 105lbs (I am 5'9"). But for the past five years I have maintained around 120-125lbs. I was on BCP for about nine years because I stopped getting my period, and when I came off them one year ago my period never started again. The doctor told me to gain weight and back off exercise. So now I am 143lbs, I have done two rounds of IUI with Repronex and no luck. The doctor thinks maybe it is because we used really high doses (like started at 250units for the first five nights) and possibly that caused poor egg quality. We were supposed to start again this week, but found a cyst leftover on my left fallopian tube. I am on BCP again to hopefully get rid of the cyst, but my question is...now that I weigh 143lbs, I have totally backed off on cardio and over exercising, do you think it is possible that I could start cycling on my own? Do you think its worth a chance to back off the meds and see I can get a period back? Please help, this has been the worst experience and so depressing. Thank you.

Answer: I see this sort of problem in my professional athlete patients who exercise at a competitive level and drive their body fat so low that they stop menstruating. And although they stop training, it takes a long while to get their reproductive function back. So, you are not alone.
I don't know your age, but if you are young you might want to stop the drugs and have your doctor monitor your ovaries to see if you ovulate spontaneously now that you are getting your body back to normal. Two rounds of fertility drugs in someone who is not ovulating is not enough of a test to say that this strategy won't work for you. I don't know how they could presume poor egg quality as the reason for lack of success if they do not do IVF and see your eggs in action. In general, the lowest dose of the fertility drugs that can achieve the desired result is best, so lower doses may be best for you.

Question #2: Dr. Wisot, I am 29, diagnosed with unexplained infertility. After three failed IUIs, I have just started round one of IVF. I responded very well to follistim during the IUI and produced 3-4 follicles with a dosage of 75 follistim. My doctor is proceeding with the antagonist protocol and I am on bcp now. Online I have read the antagonist protocol is normally used for slow responders--which I am not. Just wondering why doctors prescribe the antagonist protocol. Thanks for your assistance.

Answer: I think you are referring to an antagonist protocol for poor responders. The antagonist can actually be used for anyone and I know some very excellent doctors who use the antagonist in almost all their patients. It's the dose of the injectable fertility meds that determine the strength of the protocol.

Question #3: I had an HSG performed last week, and following the results I will now have an U/S this Friday. They said that my tubes were clear, and that there was good spillage, etc. But they said that I do have a fibroid. The HSG was painful, which prepared me to accept the fact that something was probably wrong, but I wasn't expecting a fibroid. How often have you seen fibroids affect fertility, and do you have any percentage of fibroids that require surgery to restore fertility? I remember having an U/S about five years ago for my gallbladder, but they checked out my uterus at the time, and said it was fine. Of course at that time I was on birth control.

Answer: Fibroids are very common and their effect on fertility depends on their size and predominantly their location. Those that protrude into the cavity (submucous) have the greatest adverse effect; those in the muscle close to the cavity (intramural) are in second place as fertility offenders. So your doctor will use a number of modalities to evaluate your fibroids potential effect on your fertility and miscarriage chance and then recommend treatment or no treatment.

Question #4: When I was 38, I had two, day 3 transfers with fresh cycles - both times 4 embryos were transferred. On the first I had a low beta (14) - no baby. The second resulted in my son. We never had a definitive reason for our infertility. A few months ago we transfered our 4 frozen blastocysts (3 from the 1st cycle and 1 from the second) which resulted in a low beta (7) and no baby. I am almost 42. I am having regular periods at 28 days and have a day 3 FSH of 8. I have read that the best number to look at to tell if a woman can get pregnant is the number on her drivers license. That even if you have a good FSH the chances of success are slim if you are of a certain age. What is your opinion on this?

Answer: Age is the most powerful determinant of reproductive outcome. As women age we see lower pregnancy rates, higher miscarriage and chromosomal abnormality rates on prenatal tests, all of which lead to lower birth rates. Having a low FSH is definitely an advantage as is previous successful pregnancy. The national live birth rates in your age group is low, but someone succeeds and it might as well be you. Slim chance beats no chance.

Question #5: Hi. I hope to do an IVF cycle in March and my husband may be away during part of it. I have read that frozen sperm is just as good as fresh for IVF. Do you agree?

Answer: It's pretty close to fresh in potency. All donated sperm today is frozen and we find very good results with fertilization by using ICSI to fertilize when frozen sperm is used. Just tell your husband all you need him for is the DNA in his sperm and the nighttime diaper changes, and have a good time on his trip.

For more information visit Reproductive Partners web site.

No comments: